The official Facebook application for the famous social network arrives on Windows 10 There are few changes and no new features, but it does offer incomparable ease of use for seamless browsing on touch devices.
A modern way to use Facebook
Facebook for Windows 10 includes all the same features of Facebook that those accustomed to the modern interface style are used to.
You can view your profile, look at your wall, scanyour friends’ news feeds, access your contact list, update your status, post photos and videos, show where you are, and – of course – chat with your friends!
Facebook for Windows 10 can run in the backgroundand give you pop up notifications on your screen if you get any new messages or if your friends update their status.
The Facebook universe at your fingertips!
Facebook for Windows 10 is extremely easy to use. Touch the screen, and the controls will react immediately.
In the left-hand column, you can find quick links to your wall, news feed, messages, events, photos, and your list of friends. On the right, you can see which friends are online and chat with them. In the center of the screen, you’ll find status updates tailored to you based on your Facebook activity.
Changes to account settings and privacy options are accessible from the Settings button in the taskbar. When you choose one of these options, your browser automatically opens the corresponding Facebook page, in conjunction with the application, which actually isn’t very practical. If these functions were integrated within Facebook for Windows 10, it would definitely improve the way the app works.
If there’s a social network par excellence, that’s definitely the one created by Mark Zuckerberg around 2004 and initially conceived for Harvard University students. More than 10 years after, Facebook has become the most popular social network in the world, way ahead of any other one, with more than 1.7 billion users and expecting to reach 2 billion in a short period of time.
What is this increasing popularity due to? Maybe due to being a great way of staying in touch with friends that we don’t usually get to see in real life, maybe because it’s the best way to keep up with the latest news in the world, maybe because it’s a window to the Internet where we can entertain ourselves with viral videos and content, maybe due to its addictive games of the likes of Candy Crush or Farmville that were later launched as mobile apps or maybe just because it’s the easiest way to snoop on anyone else’s life without them realizing. We don’t really know, but it’s a true phenomenon that continues to grow.
The only official FB client for Windows.
Although we usually connect to the social network developed at Menlo Park from an Android or iOS application, mainly due to the possibility to be online 24 hours a day and the immediacy to upload photos and live videos and tag friends as things happen, loads of people still login from their Windows PC. And despite the fact that many of them still do so from the web version accessible from a browser, you should know that there’s an official desktop client from Microsoft’s operating system that turns out to be more comfortable and easier to use.
How to download, install and update Facebook on a PC?
The desktop client of this social network is offered straight from the Windows Store for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (unfortunately, it’s not available for Windows 7). To download it, simply press our Downloadbutton, wait for it to download to your PC, and run the APPX file. It might take some time, depending on the speed of your connection as it weighs just over 160 MB, but you’ll soon be able to install the app and start exploring your timeline from your computer.
Accessible directly from Windows Store.
Once installed, just log in with your usual credentials and start using Facebook from a much more modern interface than the web version, but without mission any functions. If you think you’re using an outdated version, just go to the store and from the Downloads tab, click on the Search Updates button. You’ll soon see if you need to download a new version.
Main functions and features of Facebook for Windows PC
As we’ve already said, you won’t miss any of the aspects of the web or mobile versions with this desktop application, as it comes along with all the functions that have turned it into the best social network in the world.
- Update your status: upload photos, vídeos, record live videos, register visits, tag friends or just say how you’re feeling.
- Explore the latest news on your profile: comment on publications by your contacts and react to their photos and updates.
- Access all your notifications about contacts and publications in which you’ve been mentioned.
- Add new contacts, search for people you might know and accept or reject friendship requests.
- Chat with your mates from the same interface provided that you’ve got Messenger installed on your computer.
- Check your calendar of upcoming events to see all your invitations and know whose birthday will be soon.
- Access your own profile and modify your information, bio, cover photo or profile picture.
- Organize your photos by albums and explore the collections of your contacts.
- Configure the application to protect your privacy and security and set who can view your photos and publications.
- Save interesting publications to read them later with more time.
- Access and configure native Facebook applications, just like games and other interesting tools.
- Download emoticon packs to provide your publications with more expressiveness.
- Access all your groups, whether public or private.
Updates in the latest version
- Speed and reliability improvements.
Requirements and additional information:
- Minimum operating system requirements: Windows 8.1.
Only for Windows 10
Although it offers no new features or changes, it works perfectly with the modern interface and doesn’t interrupt your Facebook browsing, especially on tablets and touch devices.
It’s important to note that the Facebook application for Windows 10 only works with Windows 10 or 8.1, and is not compatible with Windows 8 or earlier versions.
Last but not least, it’s also important to note that Facebook also offers a number of applications that can be useful sometimes.